Wednesday 6 March 2013

Valentine's feature for Absolute:ly

I Heart Valentine’s Day

By Shona Race.
Valentine’s Day has always been an occasion which I have celebrated from a young age. Some of my earliest memories are making Valentine’s cards and heart cupcakes at nursery for my parents every February the 14th. It wasn’t until I reached my dreaded teenage years that I suddenly felt the pressure that Valentine’s Day brings. No longer was it deemed ‘cool’ to give and receive cards to your family and friends.
Having attended an all-girls school throughout these years I expect my pressure was even greater than most. This was because as soon as February came round there was no escaping the fast approaching day. Every girl who was in a relationship seized the chance to show off the presents that their doting partner had given them, some even brought their flowers and teddies into school. Not surprisingly, I began to resent the very thought of Valentine’s Day because I didn’t have a boyfriend and simply felt like I couldn’t join in with the Valentine’s Day craze.
My family however, relentlessly attempted to convert me back to the ‘fluffy’ side and as I grew out of my teenage angst years I realised that Valentine’s Day isn’t necessarily about love between a couple, it’s a day to celebrate love in general. This means that whether you are celebrating the love that you have for your friends or the love you have for your family, it is a day to simply remind the ones you care for, that you love them. Valentine’s Day wasn’t created as a day which is meant to make anyone feel lonely or unloved it is in fact celebrated for the opposite reasons.
Inevitably, there is an increasing amount of pressure to spend money on products such as chocolates and flowers which are advertised as being able to saying ‘I love you’ better than your loved one actually saying those three words. I however disagree. I believe that there is no need for over extravagant presents, just spending time with your loved ones is what the true nature of Valentine’s Day is about. Saying that, I still love it when my boyfriend surprises me every year with presents.
Personally, I don’t see what the harm is having a day centred on love when during the remaining 364 days of the year we are constantly reminded of negative facts of life such as war and poverty. So embrace Valentine’s Day for what it is and accept that you have the freedom to celebrate it how you want just as long as you are indulging yourself and others in love ( but also chocolates, jewellery and flowers are a nice touch too).

Creative Commons attribution to Caro Wallis

No comments:

Post a Comment