Wednesday 6 March 2013

Relationships feature for Absolute:ly

When I hear the phrase ‘just friends’ I instantly think of a stereotypical break-up scenario where either the guy or girl is being dumped with the classic line: “it’s not you, it’s me, but I hope that we can still be friends?” What does this really mean? I personally see this as being similar to the ‘no offence but…’ line. You know that you’re potentially going to hurt someone’s feelings with the comment that you’re about to say but to avoid any possible conflict you make your excuses first to soften the blow. In the same way people use can we be ‘just friends?’ as a way of ‘sugar coating’ a break-up. Deep down both sexes know that their relationship is beyond repair even to the point where friendship is an option.
I believe that it isn’t possible for both men and women to be on the same page when it comes to friendship; either sex can be left wanting more that other people feel they aren’t able to give. We are brainwashed by the film industry to believe that is it possible. For example, the handsome athlete that seems perfect on paper is often kicked to the curb when the leading star of the film realises it is her geeky best friend that holds the key to her heart. Give me a break.
So I went to the streets to find out what your opinions are.
Can men and women ever be friends?
 
YES
Chris Pearson,20

“Personally, I don’t make friends with others based on their sex. For example, I wouldn’t choose to talk to someone because I’m a guy and they’re a guy and stay away from girls. I believe that there are people that you just click with and enjoy their company. This connection can happen with anyone and real friendship can start at any point. Therefore, when I find this connection with someone I still want to be friends with them regardless of their gender.”


NO
Hannah Evans, 21

“I’ve had male friends in the past and none of them have lasted due to the simple fact that every time we grew close and were getting on really well, the guys would ruin it by interpreting my actions as being flirty. I acted the same with my old male friends, as I did with my girlfriends so why is it that the guys accused me of flirting and the girls obviously didn’t? If you ask me guys always mistake girl’s actions so I’m going to stick to female friendships in the future as it’s just embarrassing and awkward for all when men push your friendship boundaries and expect more.”

By Shona Race

No comments:

Post a Comment