Tuesday 27 November 2012

27/11/2012 Channel 5 News

I thought the layout of the news was different, I like the fact that Channel 5 thought of a a different way for the presenter to be on screen. Although it was strange to see her stood up at first, I soon got used to it and thought it made the bulletin stand out from any other news bulletin usually shown on TV.

There was a good mix of stories but I got the impression that celebrities usually feature in this bulletin as there was two celebrity stories in tonight's bulletin. This also indicated to me that this news bulletin is aimed at women. I could be wrong but it was just the general overall feel I get from the language and wording used in the links and also, as I previously explained, from the choice of VTs.

The footage from the RNLI of an elderly woman being rescued from her flooded home was really interesting feature in this VT because we have been bombarded with flooding stories over the past few days so it was a refreshing idea which I liked alot. I also thought there was a good variety of interviews. However, I thought the VT went on for just abit too long and also I didn't feel that it was necessary to have two correspondents, one in Yorkshire and  one in Wales. I felt that they took up too much time of the bulletin when both correspondents were talking about the floods.

The David Cameron interview was a good angle to take in the 2nd VT though, as it showed the viewers what the government are planning to do.

The interview in the Norovirus VT included an interview with someone from the Health protection agency. I thought the positioning of the interview was odd, I don't know why Channel 5 prefer to have their reporters in shot but slightly blurred in this case. To me it seems unnatural as you can't see the reporter's face and also the reporter detracts from the interviewee. I did think that there was a good use of graphics in this VT though.

Before the adverts and also before the credits the presenter winked to the camera which I thought was really cheesy and made the bulletin informal. To me it just seemed like an odd thing for a news presenter to do.

I also didn't like the fact you could see the gun mic in the Vox Pops in the last story about Sports Personality of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment